Summer means poolside afternoons and lazy evenings… but it’s never a vacation for small business owners. Small businesses are the backbones of our local communities, but sadly they’re under attack from lawsuits:
- More than a third of small business owners have been sued.
- Over 60% of small business owners take burdensome precautions to avoid lawsuits, and 61 percent say that these actions make their products and services more expensive.
- Approximately seven in ten small business owners say that a lawsuit would force them to reduce benefits for employees and hold back on hiring.
Source: U.S. Chamber Institute for Legal Reform
That’s why we are declaring this "Small Business Summer" - an opportunity to bring to light the effects of lawsuit abuse and help ensure that the voices of small business owners are heard.
What can you do to help?
- Post the small business partner badge on your website to let your community know how important legal reform is to you.
- Share the partner fact sheets to help community members understand how lawsuit abuse hurts small businesses and encourage them to get involved.
- Download the legal consumer guide to arm yourself with information on the importance of personal responsibility and help protect yourself from abusive lawsuits.
- One of the best ways to fight lawsuit abuse is to serve on a jury, and support employees when they are called upon to do so. Our legal system only works when we all participate.
Everyone can follow us on Facebook to stay up-to-date on local Create Jobs, Not Lawsuits events and the latest in legal reform news.
Join us in sending the clear, simple message: “We need to create jobs, not lawsuits!”